John Steenhof will provide an overview of conversion therapy laws that have been enacted in Australia with a specific focus on the legislative provisions that are of relevance to health practitioners. John will explain how Australian laws lack any evidentiary basis and are an enactment of ideology. John will survey a variety of approaches that have been taken by organisations and professionals in addressing the risks posed by Australian laws while remaining faithful to a Biblical anthropology.
Proposed Learning Objectives
- Articulate how “conversion therapy” laws are legislated ideology.
- Evaluate the extent to which “conversion therapy” laws enact incoherent ideology.
- Identify how “conversion therapy” laws attack the self-autonomy of many SSA and gender discordant people.
- Demonstrate how to contest “conversion therapy” legislation as a multidisciplinary endeavour.
- Evaluate the value of establishing coalitions of common cause in order to challenge “conversion therapy” laws.
Session S16-22-23 Learning Assessment Questions