Dr Moseley will provide an analysis of why ‘conversion therapy’ bans are being pushed internationally. She will explain how bans attack human nature, private and family life, and overlap with sexual indoctrination of children in schools. She will provide historical analysis of how bans involve ‘un-training’ mental health professionals and target religious organisations. The historical and contemporary focus will then be combined to outline an understanding of therapy as secular and open.
Proposed Learning Objectives
- Explain why 'conversion therapy' bans are happening.
- Make an argument for how 'conversion therapy' bans affect minors.
- Recognise how 'conversion therapy' bans are being pushed for political purposes.
- Give a brief account of the practical/philosophical background to 'conversion therapy' bans.
- Explain how and why debates about therapy are being positioned as 'secular'.
Session S15-22-23 Learning Assessment Questions